Wednesday 31 December 2014

Resolutions or Goals?

New Year often comes with resolutions.

Eat Less

Exercise more.

Ect, ect, ect! (to quote his majesty, Yul Brynner)

But I’ve always been one for goals. Because goals are SMART

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Resourced
Trackable!

So here are my goals for the next 12 months. I’ll be tracking these on this blog so I can review them once the year is up.

1.       Read & Review 10 photobooks. I have quite a large collection of photobooks & essay collections/biographies. I often worry that I don’t make the most of them. So I will be reviewing them here for you!

 
2.       Shoot more film. Specifically 10 rolls of 35mm I have sat here right now! The 7 black and white I will process myself and the three colour will be at my local shop.


 
3.       Complete a project. 12 images edited and submission ready, relating to a common theme or that tell a story.


 
4.       Enter every #WexMondays on twitter (and as many other competitions that I might get feedback from as possible). This means going out or setting up a home shoot every week to get a great shot. Okay, I know I won’t win photographer of the year. But we all start somewhere.

To start with I thought that everything I wanted to achieve in 12 months was too much. But then I began to think about it. Reading/re-reading my photobooks will inspire me to go out with my camera. Shooting more film means taking more images that could go into my project. Photos good enough to go into my project will be good enough for competitions.

What about you? Are you someone who prefers resolutions? Or the type who like to focus on goals?

 
Will you be making or working toward either in the next 12 months? 

Whatever you do, do with passion and kindness! Happy New Year.

2 comments:

  1. My resolutions are mainly; be nice and be ladylike. Hardly as interesting as yours :).

    On another note, The Book Hive in the city got a few photo books in the last time I was there, you should check them out :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book hive and do often pop in. I got an Aaron Siskind photography book there (one I'll be reviewing later on). I also stood talking to the lady there for ten minutes, telling her all about Vivian Maier! x

    ReplyDelete