Friday 17 April 2015

Friday Adventures: 17th April 2015 Holkham Beach

Sorry I have been quiet of late.
 
I've been unwell which has resulted in me having the odd day off work and having every of my normal days off not taking photographs.
 
Despite still suffering vertigo I decided to go out anyway. Or else I would have contracted a secondary infection of Cabin Fever.
 
I parked up at Holkham along Lady Ann's Drive and after purchasing a cheeky ice cream started off along the Costal Path. The path snakes through fields and trees eventually, after nigh on 2 miles, end up at the beach area bordering between Wells and Holkham.
 
To get to the beach there is a staircase up the embankment.
 
© Katherine Broadbent
 
And then the view from the top blew me away.
 
© Katherine Broadbent
 
The way the light chased across the sand had me awestruck for a length of time I could no longer comprehend.
 
Holkham for me is heaven on earth. I'd be hard pressed to choose between Holkham and Machu Picchu as the location have my ashes scattered when I die.
 
Sorry, that statement may seem strange. 
I'm not planning on kicking the bucket anytime soon!
These two places give me a feeling that I could stay there forever and 'just be'. It's a special connection that you get with a landscape and it plays a large role in how you interact and capture that scene, the spirit of that place.
 
So maybe I'll be scattered half and half.
 
The experience of being in a place, of walking through that landscape, the time spent connecting and being mindful with your surroundings are just as important, to me, as the photographs.
 
 
© Katherine Broadbent
 
Here is an opportunity to see the before and after of my open skies project. This image is my edited version of the colour capture above.
The light when I think about it, must look odd in this edit. I've removed the clouds! This is intentional to fit the ascetic of my Open Skies project. In which I want to convey a certain sense of a disjointed reality. Things are not quite right, not as you would expect and not how science and logic teaches us it should be.
 
© Katherine Broadbent
 
Open Skies is about my ongoing battle with mental illness and my quest for wellness.
I feel disconnected from people and the world at times.
At times I feel very far away.
I feel that I am on the outside looking into a world in which I do not conform to or belong in.
Through my photographs I hope to remake that connection with people through a visual explanation of feelings and sensations that I often don't have words for.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment